Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My Journey Learning Modern Development

I wanted to start blogging again by writing about how I'm learning more about modern development practices. I'm doing this because I like learning about development and currently there is a lot to learn. My plan is to focus on certain areas of web development and enterprise computing to try and advance my career into something using a modern technology stack. I've been focusing on javascript ( My CodepensAlgorithms and a small test framework in Javascript ), AngularJS ( I created the following with AngularJS: Twitch Viewer: see when users are streaming onlineWikipedia Viewer: get a random article or search ) C# and XAML (Restaurant Manager : A demo app that uses C# and XAML), Powershell (some simple Powershell scripts), and Python. I've also played around with Scala (Scala Solutions), Erlang (Erlang Solutions), Clojure (Clojure Solutions), Haskell (Haskell Solutions), Ruby (Ruby Solutions), and Prolog (Prolog) by reading through Seven Languages in Seven Weeks.

I graduated in 2007 with a degree in computer science where most of my classes were in C/C++ and Java using object oriented programming. I've spent a lot of time since then using mostly mainframe COBOL and the associated tools and technologies. This has included CICS, DB2, REXX, JCL, ISPF, Easytrieve, IBM File Manager, and all of the other tools associated with a mainframe environment. I think these technologies are sufficient to complete most of the jobs that it's used for (large legacy applications written mostly in the mid to late eighties), but I would also like to learn more about modern technology and development practices. I don't mind the mainframe environment, but it would also be nice to eventually use something more modern.

I'm planning on using this blog to record my journey learning about these new technologies and my thoughts about some of the projects I'm planning on completing with them. Hopefully this will be something I can come back to in the future and maybe help me meet others learning the same things.

No comments: