Monday, August 27, 2007

Two recent books that are pretty good

I've recently read two books that made me feel like I've not only been to another country, but lived there too. They both give such a lucid account of the culture through the lives of the characters that I felt like I had been there. I guess that happens every time a book is read...

The first was The Savage Detectives by Roberto Belano
I'm not going to try to explain what it's about except to say that the setting in Mexico
There are better reviews at Amazon and Harper's...

I also read My Name is Red.
This one actually has three stories in one... a love story, a murder mystery, and a philosophical commentary on art. It's told from many different perspectives through different characters. The setting for this one is Turkey, specifically Istanbul. Again, there are better reviews elsewhere.

No comments: